Monday, February 23, 2009

The Rock Concert

This is just unbelievable! I don't even like Rock music - most of it - and here I am in the middle of planning a Rock Concert! Here's how it happened:

Along the top of our latest newsletter about the school in Gorodishi, I wrote on a friend's letter, "Help me get the word out!" Got a telephone call within days of sending it.

"I know some Christian rock artists that have a real heart for Russian children. Let's do a benefit concert." It was Bob Noonan.

"Ooo-Kaaay," I responded slowly. "What do I do next? How do I get in touch with theses guys? What do we do first? A date? A venue?" I was full of questions.

"Let me call Darrell Mansfield and tell him to expect a call from you," Bob told me.

"Who?" I said. "Who's he?"

"You know. He's really big, and has won some Dove awards for his Christian recordings. If he can come, we really have a good deal on our hands."

Now, I trust Bob Noonan. He knows just about everybody. And he's just enough younger than we are to know a lot about the current Christian artists. But Don and I are not concert goers. We had never heard of Darrell Mansfield or Brian Duncan either. The last time we paid to go to a concert was before we were married when we went to the Greek Theater in Glendale to hear Harry Belafonte. (Remember, we couldn't go to movies?!) That was more than a half century ago, too.

I felt totally out of my element.

"Let's do it! Call me when you are able to reach Darrell, and I'll give him a call."

So he did, and I did, and we are - planning a Rock Concert, that is.

May 2, 2009, at Whittier Hills Baptist Church - 7 PM - all to benefit the school in Russia!

Who would ever have thought that God could use Rock Music to fund a project that we have felt was getting over our heads in terms of finances? God is not limited. Why should I worry, or fret? He is in control. And since this was never our idea in the first place, and we had never set out to have a Christian school in Russia, and did not feel we could raise the amount of money it was going to take to keep it growing like it is, we have just HAD to let go, and let God do His thing!

Unbelievable! Remarkable! Wonderful! Astounding!

Be sure to save the date! It's going to be good!

And I'm still shaking my head.

3 comments:

Deb said...

WOW. Reminds me of that song that's popular right now:

Indescribable,

uncontainable,

You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God

All powerful,

untameable,

Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

Mama, your adventures just keep coming!! And Who better to adventure with than Jesus!

Deb said...

P.S. Wish I could attend! I'll be praying, tho'.

julie martin said...

it is truly mindblowing, mom! we will be there will with bells on (or should i say cymbals.)

so proud of you, and so glad to be a part!

rock on, mom!